Do Artificial Sweeteners help you lose fat? – Truth About Artificial Sweeteners
Artificial sweeteners are considered as the best substitute for sugar which help you lose fat. But how true is it ? Lets find it..!!
Hey, everyone, I am back with another article.
Now by this time I hope you are seeing good results with the training and diet that you had set as new year’s resolution.
Today’s topic has always been in controversy about weight loss and other health-related issues.
“ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS” have been on the market since 1980’s and they are used in various food items.
Now before we get the idea whether artificial sweeteners help you lose fat or not we will understand what are artificial sweeteners.
What are Artificial Sweeteners?
Artificial sweeteners, or sugar substitutes, are chemicals added to some foods and beverages to make them taste sweet.
Indirectly they are substitutes for sugar and give the same sweetness but have low calories than sugar.
You have seen the commercials that say that diabetes patient can control their blood sugar levels using artificial sweeteners.
Types of Artificial Sweeteners:
- Aspartame: 200 times sweeter than table sugar.It is known under the brand names Nutrasweet, Equal or Sugar Twin.
- Acesulfame potassium: 200 times sweeter than table sugar. It is suited for cooking and baking and known under brand names Sunset or Sweet One.
- Advantage: 20,000 times sweeter than table sugar, suited for cooking and baking.
- Aspartame-acesulfame salt: 350 times sweeter than table sugar, and known under the brand name Twinsweet.
- Cyclamate: 50 times sweeter than table sugar. Cyclamate is suited for cooking and baking. However, it’s been banned in the US since 1970.
- Neotame: 13,000 times sweeter than table sugar. Neotame is suited for cooking and baking and known under the brand name Newtame.
- Neohesperidin: 340 times sweeter than table sugar. It is suited for cooking, baking and mixing with acidic foods. It is not approved for use in the US.
- Saccharin: 700 times sweeter than table sugar. It’s known under the brand names Sweet’N Low, Sweet Twin or Necta Sweet.
- Sucralose: 600 times sweeter table sugar. It is suited for cooking, baking and mixing with acidic foods. It’s known under the brand name Splenda.
How does Artificial Sweeteners work?
As from above types, we can understand that they are sweeter than regular sugar and contain lesser calories.
So if you are looking to eat a sweet dish then you can replace it with artificial sweeteners and have the same taste but lesser calories.
Artificial sweeteners might help you lose fat however it is not to be consumed on a larger scale throughout the day.
So can artificial sweeteners help you lose fat?
Well, the answer is yes and no too.
Many studies have shown that the people that eat artificial sweeteners daily are not satiated by the sweet taste only and tend to confuse the brain.
However, the brain approaches towards eating more as fewer calories are consumed by eating artificial sweeteners.
So indirectly the artificial sweeteners help reduce calories from your diet while you enjoy your favorite sweets and help you maintain a calorie deficit.
And the “yes” for the reason is that if you maintain enough calorie deficit even if you use artificial sweeteners you will be able to lose fat no matter what.
Are Artificial Sweeteners bad for your health?
Well, the many researches were done for proving whether these artificial sweeteners caused any change in the biochemistry of the body.
Some studies that were conducted with almost 600,000 participants over 11 years of a period and found almost negligible effects on the health and risk of cancer!
However, there was increased risk of cancer if the consumption was too high daily which would not happen if you track your types of foods.
Before I knew about the artificial sweeteners in detail I thought that they are bad for health.
I thought that the people that ate 2-3 boxes of protein powder every month will die of cancer as the reach 50 years of age.
However, my assumption was wrong as I got to know from different studies that I went through for 2 hours straight before 2 years ago.
This gave me understanding that the people that eat 2-3 boxes of protein powder cannot risk their lives by eating protein that contains an almost negligible amount of artificial sweeteners.
Although the amount is very negligible don’t depend on artificial sweeteners too much as they are the reason to increase your hunger which can be hindering your fat loss.
So key points that you need to pick up from this article are:
1) Introducing artificial sweeteners in your diet is a great way to supplement in fat loss.
2) Artificial sweeteners used in a minimal manner will keep your mouth and tongue satisfied.
3) Don’t depend only on artificial sweeteners and start diet sodas thinking there are no calories in it.
There are more satisfactory results that need to be carried out before they get into each and every sweets and cause any problem.
Well, this is it for this blog post.
If you like this blog post then please to take the time to rate this article and comment below.
Share this article with the one’s you care about & please feel free to tell us about any problem that you are facing regarding health and fitness and I will be very happy to help you.